Complaint: My landlord hired this company for lead abatement in my apartment where I live with my 2 year old little girl. There was full awareness that a child under the age of 6 resides in the apartment. This company committed the following violations: Did not wearing protective clothing, dry scraped the lead paint off of our window sill. Dryscraping is ILLEGAL in daycares, schools, and in homes where children under 6 reside. he failed to cover my cabinets and refrigerator and told methat the pieces of paint were too large to get into the cabinet, so they did not need to be sealed.he totally neglected the fact that lead can create dust and that cabinets and refrigerators should, in fact, be covered. He did not cover the portion of my living room and hallway floor where he was walking back and forth from the kitchen (where he was performing the lead work). He did not cover a chair that was in that same area. He used MY BROOM and DUSTPAN to clean up. In addition to that, he did not even ask me. Using our cleaning supplies would be one surefire way to spread lead dust, had I decided to use it when he was finished. Left debris in my kitchen cabinets which fell out onto our stove when I opened the cabinet looking for a dishDuring the time when they were working, I called the City Health inspector and she told him to clean the area outside of the apartment. he then asked to use MY MOP to clean the possible lead dust outside of the apartment! He did not create the proper barriers to seal of the area in which he was working. There should be three layers of plastic…something called a z-lock formation. This worker used a single sheet and the sheet was not secure in the doorway. He also used one sheet on the floors. Crazy thing is, he has his lead abatement license. People, a lead abatement license is one thing…whether the workers adhere to the laws and safe practice requirements is something totally different. What happened was wrong, unethical, and sub-standard. Crazy thing is he has children and so does the individual who he works under. I called the guy he works under and told him about what he was doing. Interestingly, the landlord tried to hire the same company last year and the worker’s supervisor told me how he got into the business to protect children and I found that to be admirable. However, seeing how the work was conducted and the fact that NOONE from the company checked to see how we were doing after being notified of the lack of adherence to the law that took place during the abatement. One of the owners was, however, concerned as to whether his worker received a citation. At least I know where their real concern is. The supervisor stated that they perform the work in such a safe manner that my daughter and I did not have to leave the apartment and could sit in the living room while it was being done. So they started before I had the chance to leave with my daughter. When I spoke to him later, he said, He would not have HIS children around while it was being done. My daughter and I remained in the bedroom with the door closed. As parents, we should be more concerned and ethical when what we do affects other people, especially children. Please everyone, conduct research on ANY lead abatement contractor you use and make arrangements where you can watch them, or contact a city inspector to be there and observe. Had I not been there to see what was going on, I would have been none the wiser. My cabinets would have been uncovered the entire time, I would not have been aware that the worker DRY SCRAPED the lead paint from the window, I would have used the broom and mop in other areas of our home, without knowledge that they were possibly contaminated. We had lead abatement done by another contractor last year and they did an EXCELLENT job in safety and professionalism. They were aware of my child and performed the abatement according to the rules, legally and ethically. That company was superb and their workers were superb. By the way I contacted the supervisor several times while the worker was at my house and while the supervisor was on the phone with the worker, they spoke, the worker defended why he did not cover the floor and or the cabinets, laughed, got off the phone, and still did not cover those areas. Based on the flagrant violations committed by this guy and the lax response from his supervisor it was apparent that they are used to committing such violations. I am disgusted at what took place, but I thank God I was able to witness it and document what happened. I even have pictures. Thank God my child is 1000% healthy. I am hoping and praying that this can help at least one child by informing parents to keep an eye on a contractor you choose, make sure they have a website, check reviews, look for licenses for abatement certification. Educate yourselves and know what to look for, because although you want the workers to be certified, it does not mean that they will practice what they have learned.
Tags: Builders & Contractors
Address: 1564 52nd street brooklyn, New York United States of America